Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How to Make a Rosette......

I needed to make a B-Day card for the oldest daughter, and I wanted to try a new thing too, so I made a card with one of the paper rosettes that are so popular right now...not as hard as you would think really.
You'll need a scoreboard...Stampin'Up makes a really nice one, and truly I should have one, but I bought mine before they introduced theirs so anyways, here goes. I did the sample in orange so it's easier to see. Please forgive my photography, some are a tad blurry, I'm new to this.
First: cut 2 strips of paper to 8"x 1 1/4"
 Simple enough!
 Now score first one side then the other on each of these strips...score at 1/4", skip and score @ 1/2" do this for every other 1/4" increment.  I have found the best scoring tool is a stylus, I've used a bone folder and it works, but the stylus is better.

Hopefully you can see the scored lines. 
Now turn the strip over and score in between the scores you've just done. Do this for both strips.

You do this so it's easier to fan fold.  Now you'll fan fold both strips, it can be a little tricky, but you can do it!
























Little Trick I'll share with you....You want to adhere both strips together, do this with glue dots, and use your ex-acto knife to lift and apply the dots. This makes the application more precise. Just lift with the very tip of your knife and put the dot right where it needs to go.

Now form a ring with your glued strips...  (and stop giggling at my one green glitter nail! Chantelle did that to me)
Set this aside and punch out a couple circles from paper, I used matching, but you can do whatever tickles your fancy.  You will now apply a Large glue dot to each punched circle. It must be a large one so you have plenty of sticking area and power.
Now the fun part...flatten out the ring you made, and tighten it up.

After you've tightened this up, set it on top of one of your prepared punched/glue dotted circles. Press it down well so the adhesive holds it firmly. It may pull up a little, but you'll take care of that with the next circle.
Now you'll put that last glue dotted circle on the other side and ........
VOILA'......A Rosette!!!!!
You can use it just as it is, or embellish it.......

And turn it into an amazing card for an amazing daughter who is turning 24!
Rosettes can be made in many sizes and in layers. You can score at 1/2 increments, or 1 inch, whatever does the job for you. They can be used to embellish gift boxes, bags, cards, you name it. I even saw a bunch of them made into a wreath. Pretty nifty little things if I do say so myself! Now go get crafty!

1 comment:

  1. that is a darling card! Thank you for showing me how to make a rosette, always makes it so much easier than trying to figure it out myself.
    Jennifer looks so cute in her costume. Guess kids never outgrown their need for their Moms.
    Keep up the good work, I'm anxiously awaiting your next entry.

    ReplyDelete