Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anxiety.....Why?

I wish I knew why I had the anxiety when I start a new endevour. I know I can do it, but I just worry and beat myself up. Years ago when I started my porcelain doll business, I did the same thing.  Luckily I had a wonderful friend who also did dolls who helped me and directed me to the best way to be profitable.  She got me to teach all over Utah Valley in night classes, and in my home and I taught at the college. But when we would go to do Big doll shows, I would be a nervous wreck the whole time. I did ok, but my teaching always trumped my selling.  I love teaching and people aren't critiquing your wares.  I loved competition for some reason, and entered and did well in those, but for some reason people looking at my dolls for sale and deciding to buy was just too much judgement.  I guess with competitions there are specific criteria and I could meet those. (BTW, I'm a trained porcelain doll judge so I had a wee advantage) 
I've been looking on ebay and Etsy to get some ideas for what is selling and for how much.  Ebay is a little tawdry in my eyes for selling handmade things.  Kind of like a big ol' swap meet.  I'm leaning toward Etsy.  I suppose I should just jump in the water and quit dilly dallying on the sidelines. So, if you see me all pale and wan looking,  you'll know why. 
Onward.................and Upward.........wish me luck..............

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel!! That is why it took so long for me to make a facebook page. It's scary to put your hard work out there and know that some people are going to reject it. Etsy is amazing!! I would go that route if I were you. Its super popular and easier to find stuff then ebay in my opinion. I buy stuff off it all the time actually. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marci, I think I'm going to try Etsy. I just need to take the plunge. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Knowing you buy from Etsy helps too.

    ReplyDelete