Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

More Tales of a Sewing Machine.....Oh My!

So I borrowed a sewing machine from my church. The sweet lady in charge of that dropped it off at my house while I was at work.  I had sewed on our church's sewing machine before, it's a lovely older Bernina, kind of like mine, so I was prepared for a relaxed evening of sewing.
I carried the sewing machine in its case to my room and set it lovingly on the table, Oh what a night I was going to have.....Little did I know exactly what a night I was going to have!!!!!!!
I opened the case and............Oh My!!!
This is an antique!  This is something I'm not sure I can do!  I drove quickly to the church and looked in all the cupboards for that elusive Bernina....it was NOT there....Who took the Bernina?  Really?
By this point I was feeling a little panicky, but a little voice in my head said, "Pull it together girl, your Mom sewed on one of these once, your Grandmama and your Great Gran, you can do this, you come from a long line of amazing women."  I went home ready to tackle the unknown.  I sat down to thread it and was completely baffled, everything was there, but it didn't thread the way anything I've ever used threaded.  And again that little voice said....."You have the internet!"  Duh!!! YouTube saved the day, they had a video with just this same machine and how to thread it, put the bobbin in and even wind a bobbin.  I fiddled around with sewing different stitch lengths and discovered reverse and I was on my way.  The only thing this machine doesn't do that I kind of need is zigzag.  I love this machine, it's so smooth and sews like a dream.  After too much time had elapsed, I actually completed an outfit and a half! I'll show you the other one when I finish it.

I had to have her model the new dress beside the machine that made it!  Now comes the hilarious part...
Years and years and years ago, my Mom gave me an old sewing machine that had belonged to my Great Gran, I wanted it because it came in this amazing table that folds the machine inside so you can use the top. I use it as my nightstand.  As I was sewing along on the borrowed antique, I realized I have that same machine, sitting right beside my bed!!!!! Oh brother......When I return this sweetheart, I'm breaking out my Great Gran's machine until mine comes home from the doctor. Who knows, I may just keep sewing on it.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, mimi! That is a crazy story! Sooo funny. The girls will appreciate the outfits so much more now that it was made by a legit antique! :) you're so great to figure it all out. funny. I'll see ya tomorrow before one. THANX again antique addict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! My Mom had that machine. I wonder where it is now.......

    ReplyDelete