Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Little History Found in Grandma's Closet.....

Having my youngest daughter home for the holidays has been awesome, it has also been very productive. We've managed to de-junk and de-clutterize (my new word) both my kitchen and bedroom.  For those who don't know, I live in my Grandma and Grandpa's old home. I love it even though it is a little rustic, it has character. Well, I use Grandma's closet, and there were a few things left on the back of one of the shelves, not things of great monetary value, just interesting.  I'm also a huge newspaper lover and was thrilled to find this San Juan Record from February 3, 1972!!  It's in rough condition, but I was delighted with the walk down memory lane. I even found my cousin in one of the pictures! 
Although we change, this picture of the Goosenecks remains timeless and unchanged!

I was tickled to find proof that Monticello did indeed have 3 grocery stores once upon a time.....
Jensen's which was located where Blue Mt. Foods is today

Monticello Merc, located, well where it is today but with food and clothes and stuff!

And Blue Mountain Foods, located where the new Maverick sits today. Remember Clare Toppance?
And how many of you remember this guy? 
The teacher who inspired me to read the classics... Mr. Morris Nelson! We multi task here on the frontier.
Of course my reading and my daughter's reading were influenced by two of the people in this next one....Do you remember these people? Give you happy feelings?
L-R Hal Jensen, our elementary principal, Marilyn Hugentobler (who taught my daughter in 2nd grade) and of course Mr. Harold Allen....our librarian. He inspired me to read new and exciting things, I loved his reading voice, it was comforting to me and I looked forward to library time every week.
Nell's Newsy Notes kept us all in the loop here in Monticello.....
And the Old Settler, Albert R. Lyman...
What's not to love about his writing?
Parley Redd Merc in Blanding always did full page grocery ads, I even went on to make their ads for a while when I worked for the San Juan Record during the early 80's
This is just the upper left hand corner, like I said, the paper is in sad shape.
Sports can't be forgotten.....And this needs remembering....Monticello beat San Juan in basketball!
And the girls in both towns, did drill team....I loved watching them kick in precision, and the splits!!!! WOW and ow.
Monticello Drill Team....At one time they were known as the Buckettes, but thankfully they changed that. I mean really....Buckettes?

And you had the San Juan Broncettes.....kind of explains the MHS name...well a little. No matter what they were called, they were amazing to watch.
This is really blurry, but I thought it was interesting to note...We did have a theater down town at one time, next door to the pharmacy. I loved it, and I loved the Drive In movies too. Remember those? They're a horse pasture now with only a little evidence of the Drive In remaining.
You'll notice Jack Hazen won a free show if he brought in the ad.....wonder if he did? And, who is Jack Hazen? Anybody?
And now, the article that really inspired me to share...
This is a picture of some of the girls who were involved in the Mini-Course Quilting. They are left to right:
Patty Black, Mitzi Bond, Brenda Gardner, Liz Trujillo, Lisa McDonald, Joy Randall & Arlene Howesa.
I remember tying quilts at noon hour with Mrs. Jensen, I think that's when these quilts were worked on a lot since mini courses only were an hour a week.  I loved Mini-Courses with all my heart, and took archaeology more than once. Do you remember Mini-Courses? I think they should do them again....I would volunteer to teach one!

So now you've peeked into my past and the past of our town....gained new insight into what made me Me!  get it Mimi. Haaahaa    I always have something in my bag of tricks! 
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!....I'm off to party with my BIG Family!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fun trip down memory lane! I remember it all.... although I had forgotten about some of it. Mini courses were the best. I took archaeology too. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't living here at that time, but this was interesting to learn! WOW! 3 Grocery stores... Wish we still had that many! LOL Thanks for sharing a little bit about you and your history! :o)

    ReplyDelete