Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Ornament Box...

I must tell you, when I get a new tool, I will use it to create everything I can imagine.  My newest tool is my scoreboard....First it was candy boxes now I've designed an ornament with it! Yes, an Ornament!
It's basically a cube that holds candy or whatever little trinket you want to hide inside. Here are your basic instructions with illustrations.  Sorry if they are a little blurry, I used my phone camera, and it was a little late, I start melting down as the night goes by...

Start with 2 pieces of sturdy cardstock. I prefer using what Xpedx calls "Coverstock". It makes a nice base for your ornament or your boxes.
Cut these pieces to 7"x7", nothing hard with that!   Now you'll score it..... Score each side @ 1/2" and 21/2". Do this for each side, don't be clever like I was and just count over and score every 2" after the 1/2" score, it makes your box all wonky!  Trust me on this! This first scoring will be for your bottom. The lid will require that you shim it before you score. Shims are not quite 1/8" so don't just move your paper to that mark. If you email me, I'll try to give you instructions on making a shim for your scoreboard. Every brand is a little different.
You'll end up with a grid pattern like this. (without the dotted lines, I did those for illustration purposes.) 
Now, cut flaps on each side, you'll end up with 4, just like on the candy boxes. You will be cutting a little sliver out of the side of each flap, and cutting off the 1/2" around the flap. Leave it on the box sides, this will make your rim flaps that you will fold over.
Like this, on both sides.  See the little sliver removed from each side?
You will also cut that flap so it's not quite so long, cut it off about 1/4 of the way in, this make the box less bulky. See what I mean, it's just a little shorter. Don't worry about how straight it is, nobody sees that part. Also, you will cut a little snip from each corner of the rim flap You'll notice one is already on the table and I'm snipping another. Do this on all the rim flaps. This makes them fold in smoother and gives it a more finished appearance.
You'll end up with a shape like this.    Fold the box on each score line and crease with your bone folder.
At this point, your box should look like this.......
Now you're ready to glue it together.  Just like on the candy boxes, you put adhesive on the outside of the flaps, flip the box over and apply it to the inner part of the box rim flap.
I love my ATG tape runner! Just sayin'
Fold each flap inside the box and position it so it's all straight.
Just be careful as you do this because the adhesive has a mind of it's own! 
Your box will look like this now....  Fold in those rim flaps and rub a bone folder over the rim inside to make sure it's good and stuck!
Here's what you should have now....

Assemble the other one and then slide them together. The fit will be snug!
  To make this into an ornament, you'll need a few tools....A pair of pliers (I use my mini leatherman) A large needle, a push pin and some metallic cord or string.
I use the push pin to start the first hole. You want the ornament to hang from it's corner so you will be poking a hole from one bottom corner to the one beside it.  Like this.....
Use your push pin  to start that first hole, then hold your threaded needle with the pliers and push it through all layers to the opposite side. The box bottom will be attached, but that's fine. Pull the needle and cord through with the pliers also.







Hopefully your ornament looks like this now!








Tie an overhand knot in your cord and you're ready to decorate.

Cut 6 little 1 3/4"  squares of  pretty paper, or plain. I did a couple plain ones, but sprayed them with a smooch spray.  Smooch spray......aaahhh.....that's a whole post by itself. You should try it!  But I digress....again...
Two of the squares will need to have a corner snipped to accommodate your hanging cord.

I didn't add embellishments to the box bottom so it's easier to open and you have something to sit it on. Add embellishments of your choosing to all the other sides. I cut mine on the Cricut using a variety of  cartridges.





I made one of these for each of my daughter's roommates and of course one for her! I filled them with the Cadbury chocolates for Christmas. They're like the Cadbury mini eggs.
I'm going to make one for each of my nieces and nephews!  I can picture so many different embellishments and papers..........hmmmmmm..........I feel a creative mist falling all around......Now go and be creative!

5 comments:

  1. This turned out really CUTE! I do have a question for ya... Why didn't you place the pretty paper down first, then poke the hole with the string through it? Wouldn't that give it more of a finished look? Maybe I'm missing a step? I really like the finished product and I'm sure everyone who receives this will LOVE it! Thanks for the instructions! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid if I poked through the pretty paper it might crease it. The cover stock is REALLY tough and it took pliers to get through it. But, I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate any and all ideas and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete