Welcome to My Bag of Tricks

This is a blog to share the things I discover, create and love. I have a passion for creating interesting things, and an equal passion for sharing how it's done! Join me on my journey, and watch what I'll pull out of my bag of tricks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Baby's Halloween Costume....Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas

So my Baby is 19 years old....She's still my baby.  She called needing costume ideas for Halloween, being in college, you get to go to lots of Halloween events, and she mentioned a costume contest at work that could net her some serious (for a college kid) money....$100!  We brainstormed and came up with Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton.  I of course volunteered to make the costume.....she is my baby you know!
Hmmm, now what to do... should I buy a dress pattern and cut it up or what?  I made a visit to the local thrift store and picked up a dress in her size and with the right style for Sally.  Luckily for me, it had a lining which with some mad seam ripper skills I extricated and used to make a pattern.  I nabbed a pile of my husband's unread newspapers and traced out the dress pieces, adding a little around the edge to accommodate seams.  Another trip to the thrift store netted me some old clothes for recycling purposes.  I found a shirt in just the right shade of green, and a curtain with just the right stripes. 
I cut the newspaper pattern into shapes like on the original dress then played puzzle and sewed it together.  Little hint if you decide to tackle such and undertaking, number the pieces, and put little marks through each piece so you can match them up!!!!!
To add the finishing touch, I sewed black yarn over all the seams and added a few fall leaves to one sleeve and VOILA  a very cool costume for the Baby.  Now we'll have to wait to see if she wins the $ and for pictures of her in it.....This will have to suffice for now........

3 comments:

  1. How cute!! Hope she has fun and wins the contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's seriously cute! I'd love to see her in it and made up. I hope she wins!

    ReplyDelete